Information Technology and Information Technology (IT) -based Learning, or in English known as Information technology (IT) is a generic term for any technology that helps humans create, transform, store, communicate and / or disseminate information. IT brings together high-speed computing and communications for data, voice and video. Examples of Information Technology are not just personal computers, but also telephones, TVs, electronic home appliances, and modern handheld devices (such as mobile phones).
Utilization of Information and Communication Technology in the Field of Education
In the context of education, recently introduced many models of technology-based learning with a variety of terms used, such as: Computer Assisted Instruction (CAI), Computer Based Education (CBE), ICT, Computer Based Training (CBT), Computer Based Instruction CBI), Distance Learning, Distance Education, Cybernetic Learning Environment (CLE), Desktop Video Conferencing, Integrated Learning System (ILS), Learner-Cemterted Classroom (LCC), Teleconferencing, WBT (Web-Based Training) All the terms are essentially the same, is referring to the learning system that relies on the use of technology.
Examples of the use of information technology in education in developed countries:
In the United States, for example, the use of computers and computer networks has been done since the 1980s. Each student has an opportunity to access the learning materials presented in an interactive form through a computer network. The use of information and communication technology has been successful in improving test results, decreasing dropout rates, and decreasing the absence rate in the classroom.
There are many forms of utilization of information and communication technology in the field of education that can be done, for example:
Computer Based Learning
In this day and age who does not know computer / pc / laptop? Must already know. Now the computer is already a matter of offices, lectures, even our personal affairs. This Electronic tool also helps us to do the tasks for example college or browsing and learning or sharing knowledge.
Has now begun to offer a lot of software that contains the content of subjects, one of which is known by the term “Computer Assisted Instruction (CAI)” or “Computer Assisted Learning (Media) Computer”. Other terms are: Computer Assisted Intsruction (CAI), Computer Based Education (CBE), ICT, Computer Based Training (CBT), Computer Based Instruction (CBI).
This learning approach through computer technology can be in the form of:
- The form of learning model, that learners can learn through repetitive exercises so that learners can improve skills and certain skills, for example for practical and skills lessons
- The form of simulated learning, which is a form of abstracted reality learning that can be seen through the monitor screen, for example in sports and skill sessions
- A form of game learning, in which learners are involved in mental operations in the form of games, such as games, socio-drama, sociology.
- Form of learning tutorial, that is learning form given by module system, in this case computer will display information which need to be known and understood and responded by learner.
- Form of learning type of test, in this case learners convey the problems that have been mastered and not mastered, so there is feedback in order to improve the next learning process.
Sharing research results, information and communication technology, in this particular internet, has been widely used as a source of information to support education.
Consultation with internet experts, also widely used to consult with different experts elsewhere. This causes space and distance is no longer a problem. For example: a student on the island of Borneo who is doing research can consult with a lecturer in the island of Java. This can be done with the use of e-mail service, chatting, or mailing list on the internet. Online libraries are libraries in digital form placed on the internet. An online discussion app allows students to exchange ideas without having to gather somewhere.